I think that not one of us heard on television or seen on the Internet, in the hospital, in magazines term MRI.He became so popular on, but few know what it is.And about what are the characteristics of magnetic resonance imaging, and even more so.Many people are afraid of this enormous machine diagnostics are afraid to pass it.And in vain, because it is a very effective method of examination of the body.
And so, what is MRI?
Magnetic resonance imaging, MRI for short - is a method of investigation of internal organs and tissues using the physical phenomenon of nuclear magnetic resonance.
This phenomenon is the notion that every tissue of the body contains hydrogen atoms.Each atom consists of one small particles - a proton.This proton depending on the magnetic field can only have two options spin (for easier thing is which way the proton turns around its axis).If you put a proton in a magnetic field, the first part of the protons change their spin to the opposite, and then return to its original posi
With such a device, you can explore all areas of the body without surgery.Spend magnetic resonance imaging of the head, chest, abdomen, pelvis. indications to conduct magnetic resonance imaging can be:
- scheduled inspections;
- suspected neoplasms;
- determination of birth defects;
- anomaly detection;
- the study of inflammatory processes;
- evaluation of surgical interventions:
- and many other states.
Magnetic resonance imaging has applications mainly for the diagnosis of changes in the soft tissues.In addition, this method allows to study the internal organs with the highest quality, which is not available for X-ray examination, ultrasound or CT scan.MRI plays an important role in the early detection, diagnosis and treatment of a variety of common diseases and conditions such as cancer, neurological disorders or diseases of the musculoskeletal system.The method allows to accurately assess the status and structure of the bodies, identify existing pathology, tumors, traumatic changes, etc.In addition, magnetic resonance imaging is widely used in Angiology, oncology, urology and other areas of medicine.
Contraindications to conduct magnetic resonance imaging can be:
- installed a pacemaker;
- metal implants;
- shards of metal in the body;
- clips vessels;
- set insulin pumps;
- established nerve stimulators, inner ear implants;
- the presence of prosthetic heart valves;
- decompensated heart failure;
- presence of tattoos, made with metallic colors;
- weight greater than 120 kg.
What have particular preparation to conduct magnetic resonance imaging?
- remove all metal or magnetic objects to the body, it watches cards buckles, buttons, etc.
- taking into account the peculiarity of the MRI, tell your doctor about all the implants that you have;
- just do not forget to tell your doctor about pregnancy or lactation;
- if it is carried out with magnetic resonance imaging of the head, Do not apply make-up;
- if it is to carry out diagnostics of the pelvic organs, the bladder should be moderately filled.If the studies are other organs of the body, it must be emptied.
- in the research, try to lie still and not to move, to breathe and calm, only then will you be able to get high-quality images;
What do you feel during the procedure?
peculiarity of this procedure, there is absolutely painless.During their stay in the unit, you may hear noises and knocking, it's okay if you feel uncomfortable, you can tell the doctor through a microphone in the machine.
procedure runs from 5 to 20 minutes.
Modern MRI machines are designed so that most of your body is out of the device during scanning.Further, there are fully open MRI machine, but it uses weaker magnets, which reduces the quality of the robot apparatus.
For clarity readings device can be carried out magnetic resonance imaging with contrast.To do this, the patient will be asked to contrast material, and do not eat, do not drink for 2 hours before the procedure.This type of magnetic resonance imaging characteristic of hollow organs, veins, arteries and others.
Remember, do not be afraid of magnetic resonance imaging, is a very modern and safe method of investigation, and if you stick to the rules and peculiarities of working with him, you can getreliable research results.
Treated properly and stay healthy!